- Status: Now Hiring
- Location: Wichita, Kansas
About the Position
Metal Arts, LLC fitter/welder team members in Wichita, Kansas, are responsible for reading prints and assembling our weldments or fabrications. The Metal Arts shop utilizes tablets instead of paper drawings, and as such, our fitters/welders are required to have basic computer skills; however, Metal Arts will train anyone with the desire to learn.
We rely on our fitters to maintain a high level of quality by ensuring their fabrications strictly adhere to their drawings and our high standards of quality. Fitters/welders are also tasked with welding out their assemblies. Metal Arts requires all structural welders to be certified using our standard in-house test: a full penetration horizontal 2G test using a 1” thick plate and the B-U4a-GF WPS, which uses a backup bar.
Metal Arts is looking for leaders in our industry, who want to make an impact on a growing small business.
- Read Structural Drawings and layout any structural component that is assigned to them at an efficient pace, with high quality
- Inspect all parts provided to them for fitting, in order to ensure high quality
- Maintain a thorough understanding of all weld symbols and mark each structural component properly to be welded
- Maintain a thorough understanding of structural drawings and be capable of pointing out possible issues, missing items, out of tolerance parts, or general errors to the quality or detailing department
- Maintain a working knowledge of AWS and AISC requirements for Structural Steel
- Maintain a working knowledge of weld quality requirements and visual acceptance
- Pass welding tests for any welding procedure and positions required (Metal Arts uses primarily GMAW or MIG welding, as well as FCAW)
- Welder/Fitter is at times required to weld components and at times send components to a separate station for welding
- When necessary, layout and fabricate miscellaneous parts for structural components
- If a part is missing or out of tolerance, the welder/fitter shall at times fabricate the required parts in order to speed up production, including clip angles, plates, bent plates, etc.
- Maintain a high level of competence with the shop cranes, forklifts, and rigging equipment
- Maintain capability to operate at a basic level all shop machinery:
- Torch & Handheld Plasma Cutter
- Fabrication Hand Tools
- All Welding Machines
- Assist in miscellaneous shop duties as required, Metal Arts is a small business and all employees are required to help in any way they can during busy or short-handed periods. We try to limit these occurrences; however, they are inevitable.
- Running the Bandsaw
- Running the Ironworker
- Cleaning the Shop
- Loading Trucks
- Unloading Trucks
- Inspecting and Cleaning Shop Machinery
- Adhere to all company policies and maintain a minimum of absences and tardiness
- Maintain a positive attitude and ensure that Metal Arts is a positive environment to work in, free of unnecessary conflicts and issues.
Fitter/Welder – $15.00 to $19.00 hourly
Sr. Fitter/Welder – $18.00 to $23.00 hourly
Employees enjoy a benefits package that includes health insurance, dental insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO) and a Simple IRA plan with retirement matching. We are passionate about retaining our top talent, so when possible, we promote internally.
About Metal Arts
Founded in 1971 in Wichita and purchased in the early 2000s by the Gray family, Metal Arts is one of the region’s choice steel fabrication companies, specializing in steel products and structural steel. Our facility includes 22,500 square feet of production space, allowing us to handle structural steel projects from less than a single ton to hundreds of tons. We serve hundreds of customers in multiple states!Apply Now